SUMMARY THE poem dream

                                                            The Dream
                                                                                       by John Donne

This is one amongst those poems that John Donne wrote before he turned nonsecular. Its goal is seduction. In short, the lady he's dreaming concerning awakens him. He tries to seduce her, however, she refuses. He understands, however, is unsuccessful and a little bitter; as she leaves, he says return to sleep and dream of her once more as a result of otherwise, he'd die. This literary work is extremely sexual. 

Let's take it textual matter by textual matter. 

One: 
Dear love, for nothing but 3
Would I even have broken this happy dream;
 it had been an issue
For reason, abundant too robust for fantasy,
Therefore yard Wake's ME wisely; nonetheless
My dream yard brokest not, however, continued'st it.
Thou art therefore true that thoughts of thee answer
To make dreams truths and fables histories;
Enter these arms, for since yard thought'st it best,
Not to dream all my dream, let's act the remainder.

I'll paraphrase: I would not need to wake from this dream for any price but you being here in reality. it had been a dream I would like actually, therefore powerful that I do not need it to be simply a dream. So, you were informed wake ME. however, my dream did not stop...your presence here suggests that it will continue. you're therefore real that thoughts of you're enough to create dreams real and to create unreal histories real. get my arms since you thought it best that I don't end my dream--let's do the remainder in reality. 
   As lightning, or a taper's lightweight,
Thine eyes, and not thy noise waked me;
 nonetheless, i assumed thee
(For yard lovedst truth) associate degree angle, initially sight;
But after I saw yard sawest my heart,
And knew'st my thoughts, on the far side associate degree angel's art,
What I dreamt once thou knew'st once
Excess of joy would wake ME, and cam'st then,
I must confess, it couldn't opt for however be
Profane, to suppose there any factor however there.

I did not even wake from a noise you created, however from the hearth in your eyes alone. Until now, I assumed you were associate degree angle since I met you. however since you saw what was on my mind, that was quite associate degree angle might or would do. You knew what I used to be dreaming concerning and will tell that my dream would presently wake ME up, anyway (he speaks here of nocturnal emission). You came at that moment. Thus, it might be profane to suppose you associate degree angle. (He's powerfully hinting that she is that the quiet girl to crawl into bed with him, therefore, he will "finish his dream.")
 returning and staying showed thee, thee,
But rising makes ME doubt, that now
            Thou art, not thou.
That love is weak wherever fear's as robust as he;
'Tis not all spirit, pure and brave,
If mixture it of concern, shame, honor have;
Perchance as torches, that should prepare to be,
Men lightweight and place out, therefore yard deal'st with me;
Thou cam'st to kindle, goes to come; then I
Will dream that hope once more, however else would die.

Since you came and stayed, I do know you're for UN agency you're, however since you are rising to leave--a woman would not lose her honor by having sex before wedding, once all!--I suppose you are not the type of girl I assumed you were. the type of affection that's halting by concern is weak (he's pleading along with her, here). Real love is "pure and brave" and isn't mixed with concern, shame, or "honor." you are treating ME sort of a torch can|that may} be lit and place out at will (guilt trip much?). You came to show ME on ("Kindle"), however, you are effort ME currently. So...I will return to my dream and hope that sometime you may come back and end my dream on behalf of me. If I don't, I am going to die (yeah...definitely a guilt trip). 

John Donne was terribly sexually minded. Even once he turned to nonsecular poetry, it had been heavily tinted with sexual metaphors. He had a one-track mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment